It was a few years ago, when Beamdog acquired rights to make Enhanced Editions for the both: Baldur's Gate the first, and Baldur's Gate II. Enhanced Edition featured a new porting of the game being more friendly to the modern gaming systems, with some bug fixes, added new content, and minor improvements - true to the original games. They weren't changed much, at all. They listened their fans about the issues and suggestions, and did their best to please the gamers. The reception of Enhanced Editions was mostly positive.
"Siege of Dragonspear" is the first real attempt by Beamdog to step into the "broader seas", as it's an actual expansion to the Baldur's Gate's (the original) Enhanced Edition; the version of the original Baldur's Gate which the team released just a few years back. The expansion actually started as a small project with a hour or two of gameplay content, but expanded massively later on, when Beamdog fully focused on it after releasing Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, and decided to make something bigger out of it. So, how long does it take to finish Siege of Dragonspear? As explained on the Twitch live stream video below, the creators (Beamdog) promise over 25 hours of gameplay content for the expansion. Siege of Dragonspear won't be compatible with the original Baldur's Gate old version - you need the Enhanced Edition to run it.
According to the Twitter tweet on 15th Dec 2015 by Trent Oster, founder of the Beamdog company, the game should be out quite soon (early 2016 where it was pushed from the original 2015 planned release):
"We are Content Complete on Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear. From here on we find, fix and finish. The game will say when it is done"
A bit earlier Oster tweeted that the content is already complete. The game is held back due final testing phase.
Beamdog has just recently released a live stream on Twitch, which for the time being can be currently watched at below. About one hour of gameplay material of Siege of Dragonspear for cRPG fanatics and Baldur's Gate fans to watch and enjoy!
A few points by Beamdog about what Siege of Dragonspear has to add for Baldur's Gate: Expanded Edition:
- Expand Your Story: Continue your adventure in Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition after completing Siege of Dragonspear
- The Crusade Rises: A sharp and subtle adventure that pits you against an enigmatic new foe
- Explore the Sword Coast: Venture through vibrant new regions of the Sword Coast, with an area greater than Tales of the Sword Coast and Throne of Bhaal put together!
- Gather Your Party: The original cast returns to kick butt for goodness—along with Neera, Rasaad, Dorn, and four new additions!
- Double the Items: Over 100 new items—almost double the number than in all other enhanced editions combined
- Extra Class: First new player class in over fifteen years: the spirit-calling shaman!
- Venture Forth With A Friend: Cross-platform multiplayer on all supported platforms
- Story Mode: A difficulty setting to allow players to experience all of the story with none of the Game Over screens
- Legacy of Bhaal Mode: A difficulty setting offering tactical challenges only the most skilled of players can hope to defeat
Find out more at http://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/